Hi everyone! I have been nominated for the Liebster Award by the wonderful angrybushbaby. To my knowledge, the Liebster Award helps build blogging communities by recognizing small blogs (less than 200 followers). I’m really thankful to be part of this! My blog is about pride, struggle, acceptance, and humanity, with a queer spin as the name suggests. Here are the rules of the Liebster Award:
1. Acknowledge the blogger who nominated you and display the award logo.
2. Answer 11 questions that the blogger gives you.
3. Nominate 11 blogs that you think are deserving of the award. (I’m modifying this one to those I nominated because I’ve tagged a few bloggers that are new to blogging! So don’t don’t feel like you have to nomiate 11 blogs!)
4. Create 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
5. Let the bloggers know of their nomination!
Here are the questions that angrybushbaby asked, and my answers!
1. What is the best gift you’ve ever been given?
I’ve received a number of Really Great Gifts, but the best gift came from my girlfriend, Jas, on our recent 3-year anniversary. (Warning: This is about to get Very Gay.) She bought us a binary star, which is actually two stars with linked gravitational fields, meaning they travel through space together. She named them after us, and they’re within the boundaries of the Taurus constellation, which is my starsign. I’ve never cried so much from a present in my entire life. To quote a friend, “Jasmin won gift-giving, everyone else can go home.”
- If a bear and a shark had a fight, which would win?
This depends on the location of the fight. Water: shark. Land: Bear.
- What’s your favourite dessert?
Despite being called boring (from Jas of course) ice cream will always be my favorite dessert. Ice cream sundaes are bomb. And since discovering them, the knickerbocker glory is KING.
- What item of clothing makes you feel great?
I bought a suit last year for speaking at an LGBTQ representation panel presentation. I’ve only worn the suit a few times since then, but I always feel unstoppable when I wear it.
- What’s your favorite movie at the moment?
I haven’t watched that many new movies lately. I really enjoyed The Greatest Showman because I’m a sucker for mainstream musicals. My favorite lately though is Professor Marston and the Wonder Women. It’s based on a true story of the poly relationship that created the Wonder Woman comics. Very riveting story.
- What’s your favourite meme/vine?
I’m such a lame person to answer this question TBH. Oh, actually it’s the “Harold, they’re lesbians” meme, hands-down. That never gets old.
- If you could only listen to one music album for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Okay well, Hayley Kiyoko’s debut album hasn’t come out yet, but based on the three songs released so far, I already know Expectations is my answer. All hail lesbian jesus. I don’t read the bible, I listen to it.
- Do you have a favorite poem? If not, a favorite song?
I’m not going to lie and say that I’ve always had a favorite poem, or that I even read poems. However, one of my really good friends told me about this queer Latina poet called Denice Frohman. She has a poem, Dear Straight People, that I love.
- What was your favorite subject in school?
My favorite subject was French. I took French all through high school and took it my first year of college. I don’t know it very well still, but I always want to try learning it again. I am planning to visit France this year so I definitely need some brushing up.
- If you could meet one celebrity/public figure, who would it be?
My first instinct is to say Hayley Kiyoko, but I think I’d actually like to meet Ellen DeGeneres. Haha I love being a stereotypical gay.
- Are bow-ties cool?
Of course! (And if this is a Doctor Who reference, I see you!)
My nominations for the Liebster:
1–Small Cup of Anxietea–My girlfriend writes well-informed pieces about mental health topics when she gains the inspiration.
2–A Witch of a Woman–My friend writes quality creative nonfiction and poetry on her blog. Topics mostly include childhood trauma, fandom stuff, and other musings.
3—Snippets of My Life—this new blogger is full of great potential! She has a beautiful knack for thoughtful poetry and more talent than she knows.
5—Lexi the Lesbian—This is a new blog just this month. The posts so far are about—you guessed it!!—lesbians!
6—Queer Culture Chats—I’m a new follower to this blog. It has a category dedicated to “LGBTQ in Media” and I am all for it.
8—Bleeding Purple Heart—I recently followed this blogger, who posts really honest pieces about accepting sexuality and navigating labels.
10—A Quest in Queer Parenting—I recently started following this blog. The blog’s tagline is “Navigating our journey to become mama & mommy in a world of mommy and daddy” and that was enough for me to hit follow.
11—Lemon Ghost—This blog is full of short, thoughtful poetry.
My 11 questions for those nominated:
- Why did you start your blog?
- What is something you haven’t told anyone else before?
- What is a book from your childhood/teenage years that you love?
- Do you have any pets? If so, tell me about them! (Each and every single one, I don’t even care if you have a whole farm, I want to know about all 109 dairy cows.)
- What is the bio to one of your social media profiles? (can be anything, FB, twitter, tumblr, your choice)
- Who is one person you look up to and why?
- Which Disney animated classic is your favorite?
- What is your hidden talent? Or a skill that people wouldn’t expect you to have?
- What is something you fear?
- What was your favorite childhood toy(s)?
- What is a goal you have for this year?
Participating in this has made me realize that I’m not following enough blogs, particularly blogs about queer stuff! If you have a blog about queer culture, representation, lifestyle, etc, please leave a comment and I will come check out your blog!